Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Injured!

Tonight in agility class at ACA, Bailey stopped wanting to do agility. He ran the first course of the night OK, but very slowly and carefully. I figured he was just sore from all the agility over the weekend. For the second course, he completely refused to do any jumping, and he blew his contacts (not normal for him). I crated him up and we thought we'd give him another try at the end of class. I brought him out again at the end of class and the same thing happened. Refusal to do anything. We put the jumps down to 20" with the same result. Finally, at 16" we were able to get him over a jump a couple times. Claudia watched him closely and said he wasn't jumping like he normally does... he was jumping off his front end instead. He normally has pretty nice jumping, so that worried me a lot.

Thankfully Kim Bennett of Stablemate Massage was at ACA for the night and took a quick feel to see if she could tell find anything wrong. Bailey has a large knot in one of his hamstrings, but no other pain points along his back or neck. Kim thinks maybe his hips are twisted funny and suggested that I take him to a chiropractor. I couldn't run Bailey for the rest of the night. Kim and several chiropractors are scheduled to be at the Mid-Atlantic Agility showcase this weekend, so I plan to take Bailey down on Sunday to get adjusted and massaged. If that doesn't work, we're off to the vet...

No comments: