We had a small class this week. I think a lot of people left early for vacation for the Memorial Day holiday. This week, the instructor introduced finish. Bailey already knew finish in both directions, so we just took the time to practice finishing both ways. Next, she introduced a "choose to heel" exercise and handed out big plastic kitchen spoons with peanut butter on them. Bailey already does a decent heel, so I only rewarded him selectively. He did ok, but sometimes loses his focus especially if there is something tasty on the ground. We spent a lot of time walking around the other dog/handler pairs to get practice with walking in a crowd. We met up in a circle again and practiced greeting a friendly stranger. Bailey must have still had peanut butter on his mind, so he was somewhat jumpy. Bad boy! We also worked on leave it. He did ok, until the stinky liver treats came out. Those were very hard for him to leave alone. :-) Clearly, my dog is VERY motivated by food.
We went to Petsmart after class, but the scale was broken. I think his weight has been holding steady. I'd like him to gain about 5 lbs, but I want to make sure that it comes as muscle, not fat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment